Monday, September 14, 2009

Adventures in Babysitting

Ok so listen, I know that there is a movie called "Adventures in Baby-sitting", but let's be honest...the story you are about to hear should have really been that movie instead. It all started one summer afternoon when I was in Middle School. I was 14 years old and I baby-sat for these two kids, Tot and Pretty Girl. Tot was about three and Pretty Girl was in elementary school. We had a fun day planned...ok not really. Which is probably why this adventure happened!  

The first thing that happened was that Tot wouldn't put his pants on. He was running around the house in his skivvies! Then he got bored of the house and ventured outside. Somehow he got ahold of the hose, and thought it would be funny to spray it at the front door so Pretty Girl and I couldn't get out to catch him. He would spray it at you every time you tried! Needless to say, we were all soaked by the end of this. Luckily, Tot was only wearing his skivvies so there wasn't much for him to take off.

After I calmed Tot down, he decided it would be fun to run around the house with a pair of scissors in his hands. They weren't even the kids scissors either! Real, sharp adult scissors. And he would snap them at you every chance he got. At this point, Tot was having anger issues and he was really starting to scare me. He not only was going for fingers, he was aiming for the hair as well! Unbelievable. Pretty Girl and I were too attached to our hair to let Tot touch it. Somehow I wrestled the scissors from Angry Tot and put them up high where he couldn't reach.



Things were going well for a short period of time. I think I even fed Tot some food and he watched about ten minutes of tv before the next maniacal adventure began. Let me tell you, the last one was a DOOZY!

Pretty Girl, Tot, and I were playing computer games in the guest bedroom for a bit. Tot got bored, then he somehow got his hands on, get this, a BUTTER KNIFE. I KID YOU NOT! (If you haven't noticed already, Tot was a handful to babysit. HANDFUL!) Anyways, Tot began chasing us around the guest bedroom with his new friend, the Butter Knife. Somehow (and seriously people, I was 14, who the heck let me babysit Tot? I wasn't the brightest either at the time.) the door got slammed, and it stuck. I am not kidding you, stuck better than any door I've ever seen. And the door didn't push out, so I couldn't use my shoulder to push it open. OH...and what do you know? Pretty Girl and I were inside the room...but where was Tot? Right....he was OUTSIDE of the room. With the butter knife.
D'OH!!!


I tried and tried and TRIED to get this stinkin' door open, but it wouldn't budge. I panicked, because there was Tot outside the room, running around and laughing like a hyena. He knew he was free...smart little Tot! Pretty Girl and I looked everywhere in the room. No phone. This was back when I didn't have a cell phone, and the internets were not what they are today. But Pretty Girl and I tried anyway. We signed on the ancient computer to try and locate the police. No luck.
 
The only way out of the room was to jump...

...and pray that these would break my fall (and not my ankles!)...

After deciding that I couldn't bring myself to do that, I had to come up with Plan F. Pretty Girl had been a great help by keeping Tot at the door so we knew where he was at all times. We then coaxed Butter Knife away from Tot by asking him to push it under the door to us. I think we told him that it would help us open the door. So he finally pushed it under the door. PHEW! One problem solved. NOW...we had to get out of that room! We told Tot to go get the phone and bring it up to the door. Tot did a great job and did that. But since he didn't know his numbers, or what 911 was, we had to try and dial the phone ourselves. THIS is where the butter knife came in handy! I had Tot hold the phone against the door and after a minute finally used the knife to dial 911. We had to coach Tot on what to say to the people. We weren't sure, but we were hoping the police were on their way!
(Ohhh Tot #2, you are so cute!)

After waiting a few minutes (and contemplating jumping out the window a few more times) I heard Tot and another voice conversing. This is what Tot saw:


(haha...kidding!)

But there was one police man who broke in the door for us! WE WERE SAVED!! And Tot was in GIGANTIC trouble. We were in luck though, the police man happened to know the parents of Tot and Pretty Girl. I didn't feel so bad about bothering 911 after that.
When Tot and Pretty Girl's parents arrived home, I was waiting on the stairs for them. Pretty Girl says she remembers me looking like this.


I probably did.
After telling the entire story to the parents, they laughed hysterically for five minutes and then asked me if I was available to babysit again the next weekend.
I said yes.

Tot is now in high school and Pretty Girl has made it to college! I ran into Pretty Girl last Friday and we reminisced about our wonderful adventure. To this day she still tells the story to people. And my friends, so do I.


Have you ever had any crazy adventures?

1 comments:

Anonymous

This kinda of makes me look bad but I was young and dumb.

I did not baby sit much, but who would want a 12-13 year old boy to watch their young'ns anyway, I would babysit my neighbors kids (two doors down) maybe once or twice a month for a few hours during the summer days. They were strict about not having anyone over. {story side note - I grew up in a home where we never had pop/soda in the fridge}
This family had a garage with cases of pop. Eureka! My younger brother and I worked out a plan to get a few of these liquid desserts in our hands with out getting caught (at least we thought) I would throw the cans of pop from the neighbors backyard, over the middle home's yard, and into our family's swimming pool. {splash} Worked like a charm until on one fateful day, mid throw, the neighbors caught me..........ya I was in the dog house.

Post a Comment